Research Assistant: Text Analysis/NLP - COVID-19 and Education
This internship is part of the University’s Jeff Metcalf Internship Program. Please review the Metcalf Interns’ Responsibility Notice to learn more about program requirements for Metcalf interns. Please make sure that if selected for an interview, you communicate to your prospective host organization/employer where you will be physically located during the internship as your location may affect your (or your host organization/employer’s) ability to pursue this opportunity.
If you are an international student, please make sure to visit the OIA website to familiarize yourself with your work authorization eligibility and requirements as soon as possible. If you’d like to make an appointment with your international adviser, please visit this page.
Research Assistant: Text Analysis/NLP
COVID-19 and Education
University of Chicago
Anjali Adukia (University of Chicago) and Callista Christ (University of Chicago) are looking to hire a research assistant to help with text analysis and natural language processing for a range of projects, including a study analyzing how perceptions of homeschooling have changed throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. This position would be for Fall 2021, with the potential to extend into the full academic year. The position would be based at the University of Chicago, but currently all work is done remotely so the candidate does not need to be physically located in Chicago. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Develop, maintain and support text analysis pipelines that include data collection, data management, data analysis and documentation
- Work within a team to implement NLP algorithms, such as sentiment analysis or entity recognition
- Document code and generate results and visualizations
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Proficiency in a scripting language such as Python
- Experience with Python or R visualization software such as Matplotlib, Seaborn, or ggplot
- Experience working with JSON datasets
- Familiarity with one or more Python NLP packages such as NLTK, Gensim, SpaCy, or Textblob
- Familiarity with version control software such as GitHub
- Familiarity with REST APIs
- Please send a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with a description of any project you worked on related to natural language processing or text analysis, a link to your Github account, your resume/CV, and an unofficial transcript (if applicable).