EDITORIAL AND DIGITIAL MEDIA INTERN
This internship is part of the University’s Jeff Metcalf Internship Program. Please review to learn more about program requirements for Metcalf interns.
Fellowship Award Amount: up to $950
Internship Time Commitment: 10 weeks, 8-12 hours per week
Please make sure that if selected for an interview, you communicate to your prospective host organization/employer where you will be physically located during the internship as your location may affect your (or your host organization/employer’s) ability to pursue this opportunity.
If you are an international student, please make sure to visit the OIA website to familiarize yourself with your work authorization eligibility and requirements as soon as possible. If you’d like to make an appointment with your international adviser, please visit this page.
EDITORIAL AND DIGITIAL MEDIA INTERN:
About New York Focus
New York Focus is an independent newsroom covering New York state and local politics, founded by a group of recent University of Chicago graduates. We bring to New York the hard-hitting adversarial investigative reporting best exemplified on the national level by outlets like The Intercept. New York Focus publishes investigations of New York’s politicians and power brokers, explain under-examined legislation and political processes and document nascent popular movements.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
This position involves two areas of responsibility. The balance between them will be subject to the intern’s skills and interests.
1) Audience development and social media management. Working with our managing editor, you will create original text and multimedia content for our social media channels and help New York Focus expand its digital presence, engagement and readership.
● Help manage New York Focus’s social media accounts, posting articles to Twitter and Facebook.
● Monitor SEO and web traffic, set specific objectives and track engagement.
● Pitch stories to other outlets for republication; to roundup newsletters for inclusion; to radio, podcasts and TV for interviews of our reporters.
2) Editorial. You will provide research support to writers and editors, fact-check articles, and assist with publishing on the New York Focus website. Although editorial will be primarily research-driven, this intern will have the opportunity to pitch original story ideas to New York Focus editors.
● Research New York policy issues by reading and compiling notes from think tank reports, previous media coverage, hearing transcripts, budget documents, etc.;
● Interview sources (by phone if remote work, occasionally in-person, if you are NYC-based)
● Assist with editing and fact-checking articles
● Pitch original stories and have the opportunity to byline original reporting, depending on interest and experience
We will expect you to develop familiarity with New York politics, and use your excellent communication skills to broadcast New York Focus’s work creatively and add depth to our reporting.
● Excellent writing, research and communication skills
● Curious about New York state and local politics
● Self-starter excited to read NYF’s reporting, think creatively about how to reach the right audience
● Experience in journalism
● Experience in social media management
● Any additional skills in media production, e.g.: audio or video editing; photojournalism or videography (if based in New York); copy editing according to AP Style
● Some background in politics or policy
Please submit a resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to work with New York Focus. In your cover letter, please take a look at either our Twitter feed or a recent article we’ve published and include some thoughts on how we could improve.