Metcalf Summer Research Assistant at Becker Friedman Institute, Christina Brown
This internship is part of the University’s Jeff Metcalf Internship Program. Please review to learn more about benefits and program requirements for Metcalf interns.
Please make sure that if selected for an interview, you communicate to your prospective host organization/employer where you will be physically located during the internship as your location may affect your (or your host organization/employer’s) ability to pursue this opportunity.
If you are an international student, please make sure to visit the OIA website to familiarize yourself with your work authorization eligibility and requirements as soon as possible. If you’d like to make an appointment with your international adviser, please visit this page.
Fellowship Award Amount: $5000
Internship Time Commitment: Summer 2022 Full-Time; 400 hours
About the Organization
The Research Assistant will report to Dr. Christina Brown, Saieh Family Fellow at the Becker Friedman Institute for Economics (BFI). Dr. Brown studies policies and programs to improve education and labor markets in low income countries.
Job Title and Work Location
Research Assistant; University of Chicago, Hyde Park
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The RA will assist Dr. Brown with development economics research projects. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who thrives working both independently, with minimal supervision, and as a part of small research teams, juggling multiple projects concurrently. The RA’s responsibilities will span many stages of the research process including cleaning and organizing data, conducting statistical analyses, and writing and presenting findings.
- Research experience involving analytical and quantitative skills.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Staa
- Ability to work both independently, in a self-directed manner, and as a team member.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to produce clear and compelling written materials geared towards technical and non-technical audiences.
- Work efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills and high attention to detail.
- Interest in development economics.
Please include a resume, cover letter and example Stata code or writing sample that involved the use of Stata for data analysis