BSCD Summer Fellowship Program - 2023
Biological Sciences Collegiate Division Summer Fellowship Program
A limited number of Biological Sciences Collegiate Division 2022 Summer Fellowships are available for first-, second- and third year University of Chicago Biological Sciences Undergraduate students interested in conducting research during the summer in a University of Chicago campus laboratory. Biological field research is welcomed. The 10-week program will begin on Monday, June 12, 2023, and will conclude on Friday, August 18, 2023. Students may not register for any courses during this 10-week summer Fellowship.
The Fellowship will cover a $5,000 summer stipend ($1250 at Orientation, $1250 following Week 5 Update, $2500 at Fall Symposium). In addition, the Fellowship the program will provide a $1500 stipend to the host Principal Investigator’s (PI) lab to cover supply costs associated with the research project.
Questions regarding the Fellowship program can be emailed to Dr. Zaragoza (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr. Strieleman (email@example.com)
Students awarded a Fellowship must commit to meet the criteria indicated in the Fellowship Commitment form, included in the application material. If a student cannot fully participate in the BSCD Fellowship program by meeting ALL of the criteria listed on the application Fellowship Commitment form, the student is not eligible to apply for the Fellowship. If a student is granted a Fellowship and does not meet ALL of the requirements the student will be immediately dropped from the program and forfeit the entire stipend.
(1) for first-, second- or third-year University of Chicago Biological Sciences Undergraduate students
(2) students registered in the 3rd Quarter of the AB Biology Sequence or
(3) students having registered for and started or completed courses in the Fundamentals Biology sequence e.g., Cell & molecular Biology (20186), Genetics (20187), Developmental Biology (20189) or
(4) students registered in the Premed Biology Sequence (20170s) or
(5) students that have registered for BIOS 20150 in the Winter Quarter that the application is being submitted.
(6) undergraduate students completing research in a University of Chicago Biological Sciences Principal Investigator lab.
To Apply submit all of the following required materials:
1) Curriculum Vitae
2) Research Proposal (one page maximum – written by student applicant)
3) Applicant Summary (brief explanation - no more than 500 words):
• Why are you interested in applying for this fellowship?
• How will participating in the BSCD Fellowship Program enhance your undergraduate experience?
• How will participation in the Fellowship program enrich, strengthen or advance the applicant’s scientific career?
4) Official Transcript (transcript should include recent winter quarter grades. Students may submit a non-official transcript showing the winter quarter grades and should follow by submitting an official transcript asap.)
5) List of the courses for which the student has registered in the Spring Quarter, and a list of the courses for which the student will register in the following Fall Quarter.
6) Completed forms listed below (forms indicated below are posted on Handshake)
• Completed checklist (form attached)
• Fellowship Commitment form: this form lists all criteria Fellows must meet in the program (form attached)
• Principal Investigator Seminar Series Schedule form: completed by the PI indicating the dates available to present a seminar during the Fellowship program (form attached)
• Principal Investigator and Student contact information form completed: complete names, email addresses, department, office address, phone #’s, etc. (form attached)
7) Letter from the Principal Investigator / Faculty Sponsor including the information below (please address letter to “The BSCD Fellowship Committee”).
Please Note - Primary investigators may provide students with their letter to be uploaded alongside all other application materials or they may complete this online form (https://careeradvancement.wufoo.com/forms/bscd-summer-fellowship-program-pi-letter-2023) to submit it directly to the selection committee.
The PI / Faculty Sponsor letter will:
• Welcome student into lab as a Fellow (or Undergraduate Researcher) for 10-week research project
• Explain how applicant will benefit from the fellowship in the PI’s lab
• Explain how the applicant is qualified for the fellowship
• Commit to discussing the project and suggest/advise reading material
• Meet weekly to direct and advise the Fellow during the 10-week internship
• Commit to seeing that the Fellow fully participates and meets ALL of the criteria stipulated in the application, including:
◦ Participate in the 10-weeks of research
◦ Attend and participate in the Fellowship Seminar Series
◦ Participate in and attending the two days when Fellows present the 5-week Updates of their summer research
◦ Participate in and attending the all-day Fall Symposium
◦ Advise and guide the Research Proposal
◦ Advise and guide the preparation of the presentation for the 5-week Research update held in the 5th week of the Summer Quarter
◦ Advise and guide the preparation of the presentation for the Fall Symposium that will be held in the Fall Quarter.
• If a student is not selected as a recipient of a BSCD Summer Fellowship, the Principal Investigator should indicate whether he/she would support/fund the student in their lab during the summer.
• Principal Investigator will commit to write at an evaluation of the Fellow’s participation in the Fellowship program, their performance in the lab, progress on their research project, and preparation and presentation of their Fellowship research at the Fall Symposium. Principal Investigator should email the evaluation letter directly to Dr. Zaragoza (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Strieleman (email@example.com) the week following the Fellowship Symposium.
• Following receipt of PI evaluation letter the 2023 lab funds will be transferred to the lab account provided by the PI.
Please Note: If you are applying to multiple BSCD Fellowship Grants, please fill out the following BSCD Preference Form - https://careeradvancement.wufoo.com/forms/bscd-research-2023
Application Deadline: 11:55 pm on April 9, 2023
Only complete applications (including all the above materials) submitted by 11:55 pm on April 9, 2023, will be accepted by the Biological Sciences Collegiate Division and reviewed by the Fellowship committee.
Fellowship awards will be announced on Friday April 21, 2023.